Sunday, March 10, 2013

Trip Back Home

 
This weekend I made my way home to Asheville to visit some family. When I go home I never go without sliding by Hunter Banks (www.hunterbanks.com) to check out the shop, and I always ended up finding something I "need." Also I found out they had recently opened up an Orvis in Biltmore Park so I made my by there also.


In short I got ALOT of new stuff to make use out of in Charleston, including some awesome Chamelon fly line, dubbing,  Prism Dr. Slick Scissors, tiny hooks and some thread.





Now about Orvis, I was disappointed with the selection of fly tying products, it was more of a clothing store. I didn't know what to expect as I had never been in one before. If you need to tie some flies you can get what you need her but will not get the selection that would at Hunter Banks (www.hunterbanks.com) if you are in Asheville or at Lowcountry Flyshop (www.lowcountryflyshop.com) in Charleston. Everyone in the shop was incredibly helpful, and did purchase a fly I had never seen before it was a small baitfish tied on a sz 14 scud hook out of Senyos Laser Dub, will take a picture and post later.

 
After the quick stop and the local shops I headed to visit my Mom at work. One of her co-workers introduced me to flyfishing about 8 or so years ago. He gave me my first fly rod a 3wt Sage, and I was hooked. I stop in and talked to him everytime I go to visit her and he asks me how things are in Charleston. I told him I had recently been given a new 8wt that a friend had made. As we were talking about it he reaches behind a cabinet knocks the dust off of a Sage case and says, "Here, I broke the tip off of it but send it off Sage will warranty it." It was a 2 piece 7wt, Graphite III. He said it had been in the corner for about 4yrs and he didn't plan on using it again. I went right back to Hunter Banks and sent it off immediately hopefully it makes it back soon, I look forward to chasing some Redfish with it this year.


 

Turned out to be a pretty eventful trip back home in Asheville, next time I will carry some of the midges I have been tying and splash them down. I sure miss the mountains and will probably move back home in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment